The Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course is are for everyone who works with, lives with or supports young people aged 8-18. It will teach you the skills and confidence to spot the signs of mental health issues in a young person, offer first aid and guide them towards the support they need. In doing so, you can speed up a young person’s recovery and stop a mental health issue from getting worse.
This course won’t teach you to be a therapist, but it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis – and even potentially stop a crisis from happening.
Youth Mental Health First Aiders have:
- An in depth understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s through self-help sites, their place of learning, the NHS, or a mix – engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate
- Ability to support a young person with a long term mental health issue or disability to thrive
- Tools to look after your own mental wellbeing
Date: Friday 23 & Saturday 24 November 2018
Time: 9 am – 5 pm each day
Venue: Wellspring House, 78 High Street, Starbeck, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG2 7LW
Cost: £150 if booked by 1 October; £175 after 1 October. 10 % discount for students or for group bookings of 3 or more. Only one concession per booking. Prices includes VAT, manual, workbook, certificate and light refreshments (no lunch provided).
Please note that numbers are limited to 16 people and places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Your place can only be confirmed upon receipt of payment and booking form.
Learning takes place across four manageable sessions. Through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions, each session is built around a Youth Mental Health First Aid action plan. You will get an MHFA manual to keep and refer to whenever you need it.
When you complete the two days you’ll get a certificate to say you are a Youth Mental Health First Aider.